Reaching Beyond Myself

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Popularity Contest

Wowzers!!!

I just got back from a Kindergarten class lunch with other parents. Can you say, popularity contest??

So this luncheon was designed for parents to come in, eat with their child, then listen to how the kids are doing with reading, writing....no problem I think.

I arrive late......grrrr....traffic (another post)

My daughter is patiently waiting for me, poor girl has a mom who desperately wants to be on-time, but can seem to manage it.....anyway, I digress.....

So we eat.....we listen to the teacher.......the meeting is over......

I'm walking out of the building with son in stroller. I get stuck behind two moms and a dad.....

Not just any moms, the "poshy, trendy" moms. With the Chanel bags and large rimmed glasses......and I overhear them (because I'm walking directly behind them)

"Did you notice so-n-so, can you believe how she asked, that question? Oh my god, I know and what about this other s0-n-so, did you see what she was wearing?"
The conversation continued.
I was appalled.
Seriously, I thought there is no such thing as a stupid question in school.....I'm just glad I didn't ask it.....whew.....relief

Then

All I could think was, "are you frickin kidding me??

Seriously, what are you like 30, isn't it time to grow up, not care about such superficial things and move on with your day? Can you really be so shallow to not only notice, but then comment on what someone is wearing? Can you really have no other meaning in your life? I wanted to say to them, take up a cause, join a mommy group, join a gym, go to a peace rally for Darfur.....but mostly......GET A LIFE!!!!!

Then it struck me. They are jealous. Jealous that this particular mom who was being assaulted verbally by these catty women, is a friend of the TEACHER'S.
No joke.

Moral of the story......
if you are over 18 years old and never felt accepted by a teacher, continuing to strive for that acceptance by a teacher into your 30s and from your child's teacher is NOT, I repeat, NOT going to make you feel anymore special.....
In fact, it's actually just really pathetic.....

Private school is looking more and more appealing for next year.

WOWZERS!!!!!!!!!!

Labels:

posted by True_Floridian Momma at 11:28 AM

4 Comments:

in all honesty, ang, you won't avoid this in public school either. you will likely get the even more judgmental parents who are trying to spare their kids from the "lesser" folk. obviously not all of them, but they are everywhere...

October 4, 2007 at 2:05 PM  

I guess, it just sucks!!!
I hate the craziness of it all, I guess I thought it would end after I graduated High School, but aparently not....

Oh I didn't mention. The Chanel bag toting mom saw me today getting Adalai and waved....I'm thinking it's because I drive an SUV<---pessimist in me, but maybe she was just being polite <----trying to be the optomistic....LOL

October 4, 2007 at 2:21 PM  

You will never escape the cliche-ness of high school. Some people just can't get past it! It's a sad thing ;(

October 4, 2007 at 6:43 PM  

Carmen, it is so very sad and really pathetic

October 4, 2007 at 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home