Reaching Beyond Myself
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
What every parent should know about Autism....
General information, accompanied by the lastest ruling about childhold vaccinations. All information gathered for this post was obtained through http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/
For further information please go to this link and/or the link at the bottom of this post.
Please take the time to carefully read through this information, especially if you are parent of a child who still needs vaccinations.
- Austims is a bio-neurological development disability that generally appears before the age of 3.
- Austim impacts the normal development of the brain in the areas of social interaction, communication skills and cognitive function. Individuals with autism typically have difficulties in verbal and non-verbal communication, social interactions and leisure or play activities.
- Individuals with autism often suffer from numerous physical ailments which may include: allergies, asthma, epilepsy, digestive disorders, persistent viral infections, feeding disorders, sensory integration dysfunction, sleeping disorders, and more.
- Austim is diagnosed four times more often in boys than girls. Its prevalence is not affected by race, region, or socio-economic status. Since autism was first diagnosed in the U.S., the occurrence has climbed to an alarming one in 150 people across the country.
- Autsim does not affect life expectancy. With early intervention and treatment, the diverse symptoms related to autism can be greatly improved.
HOW IS AUTISM DIAGNOSED?
Autism is diagnosed based on clinical observation and testing by a professional using one or more standardized tests. Professionals most likely to diagnose autism are psychologists, psychiatrists, developmental pediatricians, and school psychologists.
Article I received via email:
Government Concludes Vaccines Caused Autism
Nixa, MO – It was announced that the US Court of Federal Claims and the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program ruled in favor of a child who regressed into autism as a result of vaccinations, several of which contained the mercury-based preservative thimerosal.Case documents state that the vaccines administered to the claimant significantlyaggravated an underlying condition that ultimately led to regressive encephalopathy and symptoms of autism.According to official court documents, the child was developing normally until given the vaccines, and shortly after the shots, regressed into full autism. The child was diagnosed by nationally recognized autism medical specialists.For more than a decade, thousands of parents have come forward with reports of sharp regression in their children following immunizations. The cases of autism have dramatically spiked in the past 15 years to as many as 1 in 150 children, making it the leading childhood developmental disorder today. The National Autism Association (NAA) sees the ruling as confirmation of what so many parents have been saying for years. “This case echoes the stories of thousands of children across the country. With almost 5,000 similar cases pending in vaccine court, we are confident that this is just the first of many that will confirm what we have believed for so long, vaccines can and do cause children to regress into autism,” says Wendy Fournier, parent and president of NAA. “We call on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to acknowledge that the current vaccine schedule is not safe for every child and as with the administration of any medicine, individual risks and susceptibilities must be considered for each patient.”While thimerosal has been phased out of many pediatric vaccines, it is still used in flu shots recommended for pregnant women and children. At a meeting of the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices held yesterday at the CDC, the committee voted to recommend annual flu shots for all children up to the age of 18, and to date has refused to state a preference for mercury-free vaccines.
To learn more about autism, please visit http://www.nationalautism.org/.